Clogs Are Practically Perfect—And Perfectly Practical
Clogs were originally worn as practical footwear by the working class in Holland in the early 1300s. The shoe became common in workwear throughout Europe and eventually made its way to mainstream fashion in the late twentieth century.
Today, many brands are continuing the traditional techniques used to make clogs, adding their own modern twists. Though the clog has become a part of everyday wear, its roots in workwear make the shoe incredibly durable and worth the investment.
Below are 5 ethical clog brands that offer a variety of iterations of this classic shoe. Many of these clogs are handmade with natural and sustainable materials. These clogs are perfect for spring and summer, and would go great paired with flowy dresses or vintage denim!
1. Emma Closed Toe Clog by Bryr Studio, $262 | Bryr Studio is a woman-owned brand, handmaking beautiful clogs with eco-friendly manufacturing processes. Based in San Fransisco, their clogs reflect a West Coast lifestyle, incorporating a variety of cool, calm colors and designs. We love this Emma Closed Toe clog in Clay nubuck.
2. Ribbed Clog by Beklina, $270 | Beklina is an online eco-boutique with a stunning collection of clogs created for the modern, artistic woman. Their collection of ribbed clogs are a unique twist on a classic shoe. Made fairly in Peru with 100% Italian leather, these statement clogs are comfy enough for day-long wear.
3. Novacas Edith Clog by MooShoes, $89.95 | MooShoes is a vegan-owned brand, stocking cruelty-free options for everyday styles of footwear. They offer a variety of clogs made with microfiber faux leather, including their newest Edith Clog, from their house brand, Novacas. These clogs are perfect for the clog-lover with vegan values.
4. Ann Clog by Swedish Hasbeens, $249 | This award-winning Swedish fashion brand handmakes clogs with grain leather and natural materials. They pride themselves on their durable, naturally tanned leather and their sustainable practices. They carry the classic, closed-toe clog as well as a variety of open-toed styles including this classic black sandal called the Ann.
5. SAGA Clog by NINA Z, $210 | NINA Z is inspired by its founder’s Swedish roots, bringing the iconic shoe of her childhood to New York City. Their sophisticated clogs come in a variety of styles, including boots, mules, and sandals. This SAGA clog feels perfect for the warmer seasons!