Customize Your Look With These Responsibly Made Monogrammed Necklaces
A Love Letter
The monogram has a long, storied history that goes as far back as Greek and Roman ancient times when it was introduced on local currency to recognize an area’s ruler. Later, in the 8th century and beyond, monograms were used by royalty or military to show who’s who. And eventually, monograms became a sign of aristocracy in the Victorian era, showcasing the elite’s status.
Today, monograms are popularly used across fashion ranging from the inimitable LV on Louis Vuitton handbags to married monograms on luggage. For many, monogrammed pieces are sweet, sentimental ways to celebrate our loved ones.
We’ve found five responsibly made necklaces that can be customized any number of ways, so personalize your favorite and elevate your look with a dainty, ethically made piece. If you’re looking to add other beloved pieces to your wardrobe, check out our guide to responsibly made jewelry here.
1. Small Initial Necklace by Valerie Madison, $145 | This heirloom-quality necklace is handcrafted in Seattle, Washington using precious metals and recycled sources. Available in 14k yellow, white, or rose gold, the pendant is made-to-order and includes a letter of your choice, skillfully engraved in classic script style.
2. Vertical ID Necklace by Catbird, $292 | This hand-engraved necklace was crafted in a family-owned studio that’s been around since the 18th century. It’s an instant keepsake for a loved one. We adore this woman-owned brand for its wedding rings and jewelry lines, investment in sustainable and recycled materials, and associated Catbird Foundation.
3. Maua Delicate Necklace by SOKO, $98 | We love this simple disc charm and necklace, handcrafted by craftspeople in Kenya. SOKO’s business model as a certified B Corp provides virtual opportunities to its artisan network, allowing employees to connect directly for orders and payment.
4. Mini Tag Necklace by ABLE, $48 | If you’re looking for a letter or a favorite symbol, ABLE’s Mini Tag Necklace is a fan-favorite. Available in both gold and silver, each round chain is skillfully hand-stamped out of its Nashville, Tennessee studio. Support this ethical fashion brand that creates transformative job opportunities for women.
5. Engravable Tag Necklace by Mejuri, $230 | For a delicate piece that’s made to last, we love this engravable necklace made of 14K solid gold, which won’t oxidize over time. In addition to the adjustable chain, the pendant can be monogrammed with your initial, free of charge. Mejuri responsibly sources its gold and stones, working with teams all around the world including in India, Thailand, Korea, and the US.