A Week Of Outfits With Signe Hansen
The Good Trade's Week of Outfits Series highlights women that have personally inspired us to shop and live with intention. Each woman takes her own unique approach to slow fashion and demonstrates how beautifully sustainable fashion can come to life. Today we're excited to share a week of outfits from Signe Hansen, the conscious style blogger behind Use Less!
My approach to sustainable fashion revolves around the concept that there are many ways you can be sustainable. My wardrobe is a mix of old favorites, lots of secondhand and vintage finds, and then a great handful of items from my favorite ethical brands. I value quality above quantity, and lasting style above all. Style and classic designs are more important to me than the label, but I of course want to support ethical brands as much as I can—they will always be one of my top choices.
My mission is to show people how fun slow fashion can be. I follow the capsule wardrobe system like this: 80 percent of my everyday wardrobe includes basics and pretty much remains the same throughout the year. This allows me to feel free and confident because I know I have lots of great pieces to wear year-round, for any and all occasions. The other 20 percent are seasonal pieces I play with and pair with basics. These are often secondhand finds or items I’ve pulled out of storage. Then, of course, I have mini-capsules throughout the rest of my closet too (such as special occasion wear and lounge wear), just to make it easier and more inspiring to be creative with what I already have.
Monday is usually the day I plan my week and get started with a couple of assignments. I might run some errands, so staying comfy but chic is key. A jumper or tee and jeans are go-to pieces for me, and adding a cool jacket and some accessories makes it so much more stylish for a quick trip downtown.
Spring is well on its way in Denmark, and I’ve already made the wardrobe switch from winter to spring. This look is all older basics, but paired with my “new” (secondhand) nude boots, it really fits with that neutral spring color palette I love so much this season. I have these boots in black too, and I bought them around six or years ago, pre-loved. When I found this version on Vestiaire Collective I knew I had to add them to my spring wardrobe. When you find a great classic like that, you hold onto it! The brand doesn’t even produce this style anymore, so it’s a scoop.
On Wednesdays I’m usually chained to my desk all day. I do lots of editing and preparing for the rest of the week. Sometimes I don’t even leave the house. I rarely sit around in sweats, though, because I feel it affects my productivity in a negative way. It’s important for me to always get up and get dressed like I would normally. So usually a tee, a cardigan, and a pair of jeans are great for these days. I like to just splash some cold water in my face, wear a great moisturizer, and let my skin breathe without makeup on days like this. It’s a great mid-week break.
I like to spend at least one weekday working somewhere other than from home. It gives me newfound inspiration. Plus, it can get a little lonely at home sometimes, even though I love my own company (and the company of our two furbabies, of course). I like going to one of the local cafés even just for a couple of hours, and having a nice cup of coffee—or sometimes lunch—while working. This layered outfit is great for the transition between winter and spring, and perfect for these types of days. I pop a wool coat or just a black biker jacket on top, depending on the weather.
Here’s a great example of a basic look that works great for night and day. I wear it with trainers during the day, then add a few more accessories and a pair of great heels for Friday night drinks or dinner after work. Sometimes I’ll add a red lip. I’ve turned the original strap on this bag into a detachable one by cutting off the old rings and putting in a couple of new ones. That way, I can use the original leather strap for daily looks and replace it with this golden chain whenever I go out. It’s a great way to take a handbag from day to night, and gives you a whole new bag without you having to actually buy a bag.